In my pesco-vegetarian diet I try to avoid tuna and octopus for ethical reasons (tuna because it’s being tortured before it’s killed, and octopus because it’s super-smart), but at today’s picnic there was no avoiding tuna. I always buy the Wild Planet brand, which is dolphin-safe, and plainly, the best tuna I ever had, with lots of DHA in it.
In this post, I also mention how to quickly make the most amazing, fresh mayo, without having to deal with industrial seed oils and additives.
* 1 can of good quality tuna
* 1 Tbspoon of mayo (see below for recipe)
* 1/2 stalk of celery
* 5-6 grapes
* black pepper
* 1 romaine lettuce
1. Drain the tuna, and place on a bowl. Cut into smaller pieces using your hands.
2. Wash the celery and grapes, and cut them very thinly. Add them to the bowl.
3. Add the mayo, black pepper, and mix well using a spoon.
4. Serve on romaine lettuce leaves, or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
* 1 pastured egg
* juice of 1 lemon
* 1 tspoon of French mustard
* salt & pepper
* Pinch of sriracha or other hot sauce (optional)
* 1 cup of light olive oil
1. Add all ingredients in a tall pitcher, and using an immersion mixer, mix for about a minute.
2. Use, or refrigerate for up to 4-5 days.