I made this for a friend recently, using cauliflower instead of bulgur wheat. The experience made me want to also take on the challenge to do keto kibbeh — none of the recipes online about it comes close to how much more authentic it could actually be — while remaining very low carb.
* 1/2 head of a large cauliflower
* 1 teaspoon of Baharat Syrian spice blend (read here)
* 1 tablespoon of avocado, coconut or olive oil
* 1.5 cups flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
* 1 cucumber sliced in small pieces, seeds removed
* 2 tomatoes, cut in small pieces, most juice removed
* 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
* 2-3 green onions, chopped
* Unsalted, raw pistachios, cut in small pieces
* Toasted almonds (optionally)
* Lemon juice from 1 small lemon
* zest of 1 lemon
* 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/3 teaspoon of cumin
* Salt & pepper to taste
1. “Rice” the cauliflower in two passes in a food processor. Use the S blade, and do short pulses. Don’t over process it.
2. Add the fat of your choice and the spice mix on the riced cauliflower, and coat well. Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes. The cauliflower must still be crunchy! Let cool completely.
3. In a big bowl, bring all the veggies together. Beat together with a fork the olive oil, lemon, cumin, zest, salt & pepper, and toss well.