A very flavorful one-pot dish with lots of veggies, making it extra healthy!
* half a cup of rice, or 1.5 cups of cauliflower rice
* chopped and other veggies (e.g. carrots, peas, artichokes, chayote, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans etc)
* half of a large onion, chopped
* a handful of cilantro, chopped
* 1 Tbspoon of olive or avocado oil
* 2 cups of water, or vegetable, or bone broth (optional)
Spice Mix 1:
* 1 tspoon garlic powder, or 2 cloves
* 1 tspoon of grated ginger (or powder)
* 1/2 tspoon of cardamon powder
* 2 buds of clove
* 1/2 tspoon of cinnamon
* 1 tspoon of cumin powder
* 2 star anise
* 1 bay leaf, or 4 curry leaves
Spice Mix 2:
* 2.5 tspoon coriander powder
* 2 tspoon garam masala
* 1 tspoon turmeric
* 1 tspoon cumin powder
* 1 tspoon salt
1. Wash rice, drain, and leave rice in water while preparing the rest. Skip this step if you’re using cauliflower rice.
2. In a deep frying pan, or cooking pot, add the oil and the Spice Mix 1, stir often under medium heat. When the smell becomes strong, add the onion and continue to stir.
3. When the onion is translucent, add all the veggies and stir well. When most of the liquid found in the veggies has evaporated, and veggies start get browned, add the Spice Mix 2 and stir well.
4. Drain the water from the rice, and add the rice into the pot. Add 2 cups of water (or broth), and close the lid. Check often to see if it needs more water before the rice is done. If you’re using the cauliflower rice instead, add just enough water to cook the veggies (it usually needs less water than rice).
5. When all the liquid is evaporated, and the rice is done, turn off the heat, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve. Freezes well too.