I’ve been salivating over the idea of bean burgers for a few months now. Finally, tonight I bit the bullet and I made some. And they were amazing. Even my French husband, who is a (gluten-free otherwise) meat eater, loved them.
Ingredients (makes 7-8 burgers)
* 1 can of black beans
* 1 can of garbanzo beans
* 1/3 cup of almond meal
* 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
* 3 tbspoons of avjar pepper spread (get it at Trader Joe’s or Amazon)
* 1 tbspoon of garlic powder
* 1/2 tbspoon of Sriracha or other hot sauce (to taste)
* 1 tspoon of ginger
* a handful of cilantro, chopped
* avocado or olive oil for frying
1. Drain the beans, run under cold water, and drain again.
2. In a large frying pan, add some oil, and fry the onion until almost transparent, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the cilantro, and avjar spread and continue stir-frying for another minute or so.
4. Add the beans, and stir-fry until most of the liquid has gone, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Place all fried ingredients in a large bowl, and let cool for a few minutes.
6. Add the ginger, hot sauce, garlic powder, and almond meal, and using a potato masher, start mashing the mixture.
7. Using a measuring cup, measure about 1/2 cup of the mixture, and then form burgers using your hands.
8. Add some more oil in the frying pan. Fry under medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown underneath, and then carefully turn the burgers and fry some more.
9. Remove from fire, and place on a kitchen towel. You can choose to freeze some of the burgers after they got a bit cold.
10. Assemble your burgers: lettuce wrappers or oopsie buns, cheese, mustard, ketchup and your hot bean burger. Enjoy!